One of the best parts of living a Simple Life is the smell of bread baking. It soothes the soul and brings a smile to your face every time.
Baking bread goes hand-in-hand with winter evenings and soup on the stove. But, it is delicious any time, with any meal. Bake a loaf for toast at breakfast, or pack your lunch with a sandwich made with home baked bread. Or, just slather some with butter, straight out of the oven.
Bread is delicious, no matter how you slice it!
Country White Bread
- 1-1/2 c. Warm Water 120 degrees
- ½ c. Milk
- 2 Sugar
- 2 t. Salt
- 2 pkgs. Yeast
- 6 c. Bread flour
- 2 butter room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- Pour the warm water into a bowl and stir in the milk, sugar, salt, yeast and 3 cups of flour, blending well. Add the butter and eggs. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour until the dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl (approximately 2 -1/2 more cups), but is still a bit sticky.
- Turn out onto a well-floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic (approximately 5 minutes or so). Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, turn it over in the bowl and let it rise again until doubled. Turn the dough back out on your board, kneading gently once or twice. Cut dough in half, gently forming each half into a loaf. Put in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake approximately 20 to 35 minutes until golden brown and the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a metal rack.